Are you a victim of an inadvertent ‘Reply to All’ gaffe? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. Every day, thousands of people unwittingly share their most intimate thoughts with complete strangers. And it’s all thanks to that pesky ‘Reply to All’ button in Microsoft Outlook.
Thankfully, there is a cure. The NEW "UsefulTechnology Gaffe Destroyer™ (Patent-Pending)" solution works by reducing the temptation* to hit the ‘Reply to All’ button. Here’s how it works:
- Right-click on the Reply to All button in Microsoft Outlook and choose Customize
- On the Commands tab, click Rearrange Commands
- Select the Toolbar button and make sure Standard is selected in the drop down box
- Highlight the Reply to All control and either:
- For basic protection: click Modify Selection, change the name to ‘Reply to Everyone’ and change the button image to something less appealing like . Now click Close and your standard toolbar should look a bit like this . There, that’s better already.
- or for total protection: click Delete, then click Close.
- Now learn the keyboard shortcuts for Reply and Reply to All:
- Reply to mail message: CTRL + R
- Reply to all to mail message: SHIFT + CTRL + R
Trust me, that extra little requirement to press the SHIFT key to invoke the ‘Reply to All’ command will completely eliminate future mistakes. By having to make a conscious decision to ‘Reply to All’ rather than simply clicking a button, you will regain control over your communications and permanently banish embarrassing declarations of love to your work colleagues. Give it a try. It really works!
* Willpower required. Always read the label.